Sunday, September 5, 2010

That was....and will be!

We arrived last night around 10:30 P.M. after leaving Cock A Doodle at 11:30 A.M..  According to Google Maps it should have taken 8 hours and 8 minutes door to door non-stop!  Of course Google did not take into account the fact that it is Labour Day weekend and everyone from Toronto was on their way west - it took us until 1:30 P.M. to get to Grimsby.....ugh!  I knew it was going to be a long drive....

We crossed at the Rainbow Bridge and there was NO WAIT!  However it did take us another hour or so to get there. Once we hit New York State it was smooth sailing and Jonathan was a fabulous navigator.

We had stopped in Grimsby for lunch and then again somewhere in New York on Route 20A for gas and then we just drove.  It really was a scenic drive this time - but a little scary as the back roads are very "hilly" to say the least.  I haven't driven this way in at least 10 years and I forgot how gorgeous it is. 

We stopped at a Pizza place in Roscoe New York around 7:00 P.M. and it was lots of fun -great "small town U.S.A." atmosphere and all the locals go there!  However that put us back on "the long and windy road" after dark and let me tell you it gets really dark on the mountains! 

At this point we had about 2 hours to go so you would think it would be a breeze but there were a few steep "hills" left and getting down them was no easy feet.

Jonathan, in the dark, got confused with the Google Maps and we were suddenly on our way to the cemetery.  At that point I broke down and called OnStar - my trusty navigator (sounds like Stephen Hawking)  whom I usually avoid like the plague.....he's very irritating and he has a wife who yells at you when you go "off course".

At any rate we arrived safely at the Comfort Inn in Paramus, N.J..  Very nice rooms, great TV (Jonathan wants to move in) and free internet.  (I could just leave him here!  Hmmmm, there's a thought!)

The funeral is at 10:30 A.M. and we are about to go down and meet my cousin for breakfast so I need to get a move on.

I did manage to get some of the binding sewn on that Fancy Fish and Pinwheels quilt last night - just about an hour, but it really does relax me.
We'll be leaving right after the funeral to head home so I'll get to see the scenery and mountains we missed in the dark last night on the way home,
what a treat!

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: