Saturday, January 26, 2013

On a roll......

At 1:30 P.M. today I taught the Urban Pods class.  The class really consists of learning how to use the Quick Curve Ruler (QCR) designed by Jenny Pedigo of Sew Kind of Wonderful.

When I talk about this ruler, I let everyone know that this is one of the best tool's I've come across in a very long time.  I liken it to the "bread slicer".  Personally, as a quilter, I think it's better than the bread slicer.

I let my students cut MY fabric and sew MY blocks (they have likened it to slave labour, but it's very effective).  I do this so that they won't waste their own fabric but will get used to all of the special techniques so, at least four of the blocks in the sample started below belong to my students.....

After they had gotten the hang of the technique, they began cutting and sewing their blocks (I expect photos ladies) and I set to making my second Urban Pods quilt.....Needless to say, once I got started I couldn't stop, so I continued and promised myself I would stop once I ran out of bobbin thread!
As you can see I got 4 vertical rows sewn although the second set is not put together yet (I knew I wouldn't make it to the end with what was left in the bobbin)....

I am addicted to this ruler and how easy it is, not to mention how quick it is!  From about 3:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. with two 1/2 hour breaks to close the store and have a bite to eat - I managed 4 rows....and this was done very methodically so as not to repeat the fabrics!  I hit my stride around 6:30 P.M. and figured out how to layout each row so I could string piece them - broke for dinner and then kept it going.....hopefully I can get the rest of them done next week some time....  Since I started on the store machine, I will finish on the store machine.

Monday I am putting in an order for more rulers and loads more patterns.  I think Jenny has two new patterns that I haven't had in yet, and don't forget I have another quilt in the works - the Urban Nine Patch!  This is definitely an addiction......

I'm going home now - my day off started at 6:00 P.M. - and hopefully I will get some other projects done!  (I'm so not in the mood to clean the house!)

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks fantastic...and I'm currently smiling, knowing you are enjoying the ruler and totally get it!

Cock-A-Doodle Quilts said...

What an honour to have you comment Jenny! I'm looking forward to next week's store retreat to get some of this stuff done!