Sunday, November 8, 2009

The week in a nutshell......

Last Sunday we had the rare (!?!) occurence when I made a mistake! Well - a mistake I couldn't hide anyway......I double booked a class/classroom event! If you follow the blog you will know that "The Girls from Barrie" (our nickname) come once a month to have a private Sit & Sew (only one of them is actually from Barrie!)....When I prepared the newsletter for the Fall I forgot to look at our store calendar which would have plainly shown the dates they were coming.....duh! Hence last month the formation of the Secret Cock-A-Doodle Club which met at my house.....

It wasn't so bad that I did it in October but I did the same thing in November and December.....again, duh! I truly hit a home run with this boo boo!

This month we combined their Sit & Sew with Laurissa's Orchard Temple Class and it worked out quite well. As usual we started with Show and Share and Gail made these great Halloween wall hangings from a Patchabilities pattern. I am definitely looking into getting some of their patterns into the store.....they're great.....
Uma is working on a UFO - these hydrangea are just stunning and it is all hand appliqued, 3 dimensional for a Guild Challenge.......
So - while the ladies from "Barrie" were working away on one side of the classroom.....

Laurissa was teaching the hand applique class - Orchard Temple on the other side....you should see the amazing fabric choices these ladies made. I promise to post the results as soon as they bring them in to show us.......
Here's the original that Laurissa made......the pattern is called Orchard Temple from Helene Knott's Postcards from Japan series......
She's (Luarissa) busy working on Mount Fuji - hopefully the next class in the series.....
Monday came pretty quickly and since we had loads of hot dogs left over from our Halloween Party saturday night I threw together a great meal. Made Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Baked Beans and Hot Dogs - it was a treat that we don't get too often and one of my favourites.......Effie brought dessert!

.....the girls are always busy, busy, busy but this is one project I needed to share mid-stream. Gillian is at it again - this time with denim squares from old jeans which she has cut up. This quilt is going to be amazing! I really can't wait to see the finished top and guess what! She has enough blocks for two quilts!
If you remember last week I showed you the new fabric line Flower Show III - well Nancy bought 4 fat quarters and came in on Friday with this....
It is a 3 dimensional wall hanging - Vase on Table - she will be doing up a pattern and definitely teaching the technique as a class in our next newsletter......
Ruth came in yesterday with her completed Orion Star....a kit she purchased at Hobby Horse a few years ago with some added fabrics from Cock A Doodle. She sent it out to her sister to have it quilted and it is just beautiful........
Check out the close up of the quilting........

Last but not at all least - I would like to introduce you to SONIA! She has lived the past year in a box, undisturbed and very lonely, her owner more than content with her predecessor decided she would put her up for adoption!
I met Sonia on Saturday and felt that I needed to give her a home! Currently she is living at Cock A Doodle but she may be relocated depending on my mood.....She's a Janome 6260QC and she purrs like a kitten (until she gets her first "hair" ball)......in any event I think Sonia and I are going to get along just fine......

Now all I need is the time to spend with her and we will both be happy......
Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: