Saturday, December 5, 2009

Healing Heroes.....and.....

Aha! Only 3 days since my last blog! Not bad - making time! Of course it's after midnight on Saturday and I'm still at the store - so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not! However I did get almost everything done today that I set out to do.....almost!

Barb came back from her "quick" trip to Ottawa - she was gone since Tuesday (and don't tell her but I missed her). Karen and Raili came in this morning for a visit - to pick up their Buck A Block's and check out all the new books. No sooner did Barb sit down with a cup of coffee than I started what will now be refered to as a TRIPLE F! What is a TRIPLE F you ask? A FABRIC FEEDING FRENZY!

On Monday I purchased on a whim some fabric from Northcott on sale and I announced the price of $6.00 a metre...........

This is Karen's pile........you can see Raili's in the background........
It being the first Saturday of the month, the Healing Heroes group was in the classroom quietly sewing away when they heard $6.00 per metre and the frenzy began.........
The ladies lined up and finished off 11 bolts of fabric "tout suite"....... there will be more arriving some time on Monday (and if you read my blog - it is $6.00 per metre - and if you don't it's $12.00) Aha - increase readership.......

Now to the important part of the day! Healing Heroes is one of the most worthwhile causes! These ladies get together once a month at Cock A Doodle Quilts to churn out lap size quilts for our service people who have come back injured from serving overseas. Since they started meeting at CDQ in September 2008 they have sent almost 100 quilts.
Today being the "holiday" meeting they had a Pot Luck Luncheon and everyone had a wonderful time.......there were all kinds of goodies.......
.....and we shared a great meal!
....in between stitches.......
They also showed off another 6 quilts which will be sent off some time this week to the founder of this great idea in Ottawa........






Since they are not a registered charitable organization they rely on donations of fabric, batting, etc. If you happen to go through your stash and find one of those "why did I buy this" fabrics, they will be more than happy to take it off your hands......
I have to say that I am proud to be connected with this great group of quilters even though it is only through the use of our large classroom. Hopefully in the New Year I will actually have the time to sit and sew with them on occasion as well and make a "physical" donation to this worthwhile cause.......
Tomorrow I am off to my godson's sons Bris! (It's when they cut the foreskin - ugh!) and yes I finished the baby blanket in time! I think it was Thursday night! However, I did not get the label sewed onto his quilt so tomorrow he only gets the "blankie"! I saw Shai Michael this afternoon in person at his great-grandparents 65th Wedding Anniversary party - took 2 hours to spend some time with friends! Then back to the store to spend the night cooking and baking for the next two days - so I don't fall behind!
Since I have to get up early tomorrow I think it's time to leave now......
Happy Quilting and good night.....
Jo-Ann

No comments: