Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Way cool.......

So, last night my son called the store around 6:30 P.M. looking for food.  I was on a roll working on Blocks 7 and 8 of the Marti Michell.  The original plan was to go food shopping Wednesday night (that way we would actually still have food in the house for the 24th and 25th - he's a Hoover!) but, Jonathan suggested gently that we go last night, (he didn't want to go Wednesday night, I think there's a basketball game on or something.) so I packed up 3 bags of projects to take home and off we went.

Got home around 8:30 P.M. and positioned myself in front of the TV with my 17" Spinning Cutting Mat and began cutting the 1" borders (48) and the corner triangles (48) for the Marti Michell.  Well - I have found the most phenomenal tool! 

Owning a quilt store does not mean that you have had the opportunity to try all the gadgets and gizmos you stock in the store.  It would be nice but sometimes it's just impossible.  Because I am doing the sample for the Block of The Month, I am using all the recommended tools - Set L Templates,
the Diagonal Set Triangle Ruler and the Sashing Set.  After all it is a Marti Michell pattern so it makes sense to use her tools......

I am completely, utterly hooked on the Diagonal Set Triangle Ruler (shown below) - you know the size of the finished block you want to put corners on, you cut to that size on the ruler.  It shows you the exact size of the strips you need - I had 48 corners cut in less than an hour.....If you've never used this method - I highly recommend it!  I can't tell you how many "on point" quilts I've made and what a pain it was to cut the blocks or corners - this is just too easy!


I added InvisiGrip to the back, or you can get the Sandpaper dots to secure the ruler on the fabric and away I went......I used InvisiGrip on all the Set L Templates as well - really keeps them from shifting while you are cutting.


It was nice to be home for a change last night and got me ready for today......I will remind you what MY desk looked like last week....


Total chaos!  I had to get some paperwork done today and I just couldn't look at this anymore, besides there were bills buried in this mess that needed to be paid!  So I spent 3 hours working at putting things in order and although the next picture may not look like it's in order, I know where everything is!

Personally I think it looks much better now!  It can only get better!  So that deserved a little relaxation with "Sonia".......and so I finished Block 7 -

....and Block 8.......

.....and Block 9........

.....and Block 10......

Sonia and I did very well and Block 11 is almost completed.......I am really enjoying this quilt!  Each block is nicer than the last and I am so pleased with how it is coming together......I've forgotten how much fun the Templates can be - some of these blocks have over 50 pieces but you really don't notice it until you've actually got it together!  Marti's instructions are fantastic, easy to follow and suddenly the block is done!

It's getting late - I finished piecing around 11:00 P.M. and wanted to go home and cut my second Lori Smith from Fit to Frame #1 but I'm not sure I have the energy...

I may be ahead of Elaine in piecing the Marti Michell but she far surpasses me in projects completed.....she gets so much done in a day!  I am in awe - she makes me tired!  On that note, feeling that I accomplished a great deal in this 24 hour day, I will say good night!

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: