Thursday, April 7, 2011

News and Tips......

Nancy prompted this blog completely!  She was doing up the front window where we are showcasing our "Sample" quilts that are for sale.....
She also wanted me to mention our great book prices and she's right!  Now that the dollar is above par it's an even better deal!  We sell all of our books at U.S. prices - that's a minimum savings of about $7.00 per book - add to that the strength of the Canadian Dollar and you are really saving.  Also, if there's a title you want and don't see on our shelves we are more than happy to order it in.  We love books, they inspire us and we all collect them so to have a few more on the shelves is never a problem.

Last but not at all least is our Quilt Tip of the Day/Week/Month!?!?

I've had these rulers in the store for a while and Nancy swears by them (which is why I ordered them in!!!).  I have never used them but she "schooled" me today and now I'm hooked....

The Quilt In A Day 6-1/2" Triangle Square Up Ruler
If you don't own one - here's why you should!  If you do own one but don't use it - check this out!

First, Nancy had a pattern that said to cut her squares at 3-7/8", she cut 4" squares instead and marked them for sewing her 1/2 square triangles.  She's sewn on either side of her centre line.
She now needs to have 3-1/2" half square triangles for her pattern.  So I am cutting along the centre line first.
 Here comes the COOL part!  I now take my Quilt In A Day ruler and line up the sewing line with the 3-1/2" mark on the ruler.........
 I trim around the ruler.......
 On both sides of the block (triangle).......
 Cooler still!  I turn the ruler around and again put the 3-1/2" line on the sewing line and centering the point and trim off the corners......
 I now have the finished triangle......no corners to trim......
 Voila - done!
 ...and it measures exactly 3-1/2"!!!!!
The beauty of this method is the fact that since you are measuring from your sewing line it doesn't matter whether it was exactly a 1/4" seam or not!  It will always give you the exact size block you need up to 6-1/2".....

Of course, it stands to reason that my next project has no 1/2 square triangles but no matter - I'm sure I'll be using it again very soon!

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: