Friday, February 12, 2010

Can it get any better than this????

This morning I came into the store with a whole list of things I had to get done.  (That's actually a normal day!)  The first of which was to bake two cakes - one for the Pot Luck at a Thread Workshop I am taking tomorrow and the other for one of my son's best friends' birthday.  The first was a simple sheet cake - Lemon Coconut - but the second was a little more complicated.  Back in the fall I took a cake decorating course, however, that didn't really do much for me here.......  What it's supposed to be is a hand sign that they all have.  I guess it looks somewhat like that but I wasn't that impressed!
Around 2:30 this afternoon Kathy had decided to stay and sew up her blocks from her Grandma's Stars Quilt and I remembered I had a set of "rabbit ears" in the car.  We hooked them up to the T.V. and her and Nancy and I were able to sit, sew and watch all the Olympic hoopla.  So for the next two weeks when you come into the store, check the classroom first, we'll probably all be glued to the Olympics.......and quilting of course!
While Kathy and I were working away, Nancy was waiting on customers!  I popped out, camera in hand and got a picture of a quilt folded up on the cutting table.  The customer brought it in to show us how she used the "orphanage fabrics" she bought in August......

The quilt on top is also gorgeous but not completed yet.  Anyway, it looked very intriguing and she explained it was a 9 patch block exchange she did with her quilt guild Yorkshire Rose.......the front is absolutely stunning.......

She really did an outstanding job of putting it together BUT wait until you see the back........

Now the back of this quilt really has a story.......she celebrated her 65th birthday in Spain and walked 800 km. along the El Camino de Santiago d'Compostella.  She saw many crosses and then there is the roadway.  The corner blocks also represent something (so sorry, I should write these things down) and best of all - she put a lable on her quilt!  It was beautifully quilted by Deb Kepeschny.

This is one of the perks of owning or working in a quilt store!  We get to see all these phenomenal quilts!.....and I get to share them with all of you....

As I mentioned, tomorrow I am off to a thread workshop, and I'm taking the camera so I will try to remember to take pictures to share.....in the meantime I am off to watch the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics!  (and maybe do some stitching!)

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: