Saturday, February 13, 2010

I played hookie today.........

Sonia (my gorgeous Janome) and I played hookie from the store today.  We went to a Thread Workshop put on by Pieceful Night Quilter's Guild.  Of course not everything goes according to plan - I forgot my cell phone (no great loss, a blessing in disguise) and my glasses, but Sandy was kind enough to loan me an extra pair she had with her, so I wasn't flying blind.  What a fabulous workshop it was!  Thank you Maureen and Martha for arranging this great day (the food was fabulous too - a wonderful Pot Luck lunch with not too many left overs!) 

Anita Zobens gave us the low down on everything from thread weight to bobbin secrets.... it was very informative!

I think she'll be joining us at the store in June to teach a workshop on thread and she also teaches machine applique.  Her work is beautiful.  She sells Superior Threads and I believe they really are "superior".  You will soon be seeing King Tut in the store - it is a 100% Egyptian Cotton Thread and it is to die for - it's variegated and the variagation is literally less than an inch - ask to see our "sample" in the store.
Here's Anita telling us how the thread is actually made, and actually giving us the low down on polyester thread.
Here I am concentrating on my stitching - it was so much fun using all the decorative stitches "Sonia" can do and seeing the differences they made with each thread......
We were also able to try out applique stitching with the decorative stitches and the different threads.......It was like being a kid in a candy store - a quilters' dream!

In the mean time, back at the store, Barb got some photos of what the Healing Heroes gals have been busy working on......another 9 quilts to be mailed off to the men and women who defend our country.........






The fabrics come from donations and everyone who participates in this cause is doing a fabulous job.  The ladies from Yorkshire Rose Quilters' Guild came by this week to drop off a number of quilts for Healing Heroes as well and we would all like to thank them for their efforts.

While I was away Barb also managed to get some new fabrics out onto the shelves.......great Amy Butler and Kaffe Fassett offerings.  I'm already drooling on a couple of them myself.  Alas, I have projects to finish before I can covet fabric!  Stupid rules ( rules are made to be broken!)......ok, ok, I'll wait and let my customers get some first and if there's anything leftover by tomorrow.......(only kidding!)

After a whole day stitching you would think I should go home and relax BUT the TV is all set up for the Olympics so I can get some blocks done for my guild meeting on Tuesday and cut my fabrics for my Workshop with Jan Krentz on Wednesday and Thursday - yes I'm playing hookie again next week!  Woohoo!

So "Sonia" has already been unpacked and I'm off to do some quilting.....

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: