Monday, November 28, 2011

and more Retreat!

Friday started off great!  Breakfast was served promptly at 10:00 a.m., nothing special - just yogurt and cereals and then the work began.....

Andi's working on her incredible 1" quilt - each block is 1" - she gets donations from all the quilters at Cock A Doodle and so far I don't think she's put a repeat fabric in yet......close to 5,000 squares.....and growing!
 Liz managed to get the borders on to this quilt so next step is layering and quilting......
Lunch was tuna sandwiches with a side of potato chips and dessert were custards that Gillian so kindly brought......Dinner was Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, Salad and Garlic Bread...but we had to save a plate for Karen who was off belly dancing so I held dessert for her return - it was so good I couldn't get a photo fast enough.  I baked a white cake and then iced it while it was still warm with chocolate icing - to die for!
 After dinner we had a visitor....Missy was allowed to come in and join us for the rest of the evening and she behaved like a little lady.  She even brought her own toys......
 However, she wanted to help Gillian sew so forced her to share the chair!  I thought this was absolutely priceless!!!

Saturday, Annadel joined the crowd and complete the borders on her quilt....the girls are busy smoothing it out, but it's ready to be layered and quilted......
 Looks fabulous but you really have to see it in person - the lighting just takes away from the colouring......
 Barb also joined us on Saturday and got the borders on her quilt - just layer and quilt again!
 Karen and Raili brought me some gifties!  The tea light holder which may soon become a pin cushion - hmmm!  The crystal which needs to be blessed and hung in the window and the bendable rooster which is now my personal "Mascot" - his name is Rory and he will reside with my hand-piecing bag!!!!  This way he can urge me on......
 Here he is again, cursing at the Gutterman so I don't have to - it was knotting like crazy but once he had a word with it I think it got a little better......
Of course, Laurissa's area is all organized and clean.....unlike everyone else!  We have all just taken over the classroom and as much space as we can spread out in....well, isn't that what it's all about!!!!  I have to admit she didn't take up much space and still managed to get three balls and a baby quilt top done.....will have to get pics of the balls, they are really cool!
Breakfast on Saturday was the same as Friday - Lunch was one of my absolute favourites, Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup, but dinner was the absolute best - American Thanksgiving - Stuffed Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Green Beans with Mushrooms, Cranberry Sauce and Flaky Butter Rolls - it was sooooo good!!!!  Liz stopped at the bakery and picked up Raspberry Rhubarb Pies for dessert which were outstanding - warmed with vanilla ice cream - mmmmmm!!!
Sunday was the last day so everyone was rushing to get things done and I was busy in the kitchen -  Brunch was served around 1:00 P.M.  - my infamous pancakes with sausages, side of apple butter and/or syrup!  They went pretty fast......sorry no pics to make you drool!

The girls left around 5:00 P.M. and I stayed to prep lunch for tomorrow and continue my own retreat while my Turkey Soup simmered on the stove.....

What did I get done????  I actually accomplished something for a change, I managed to finish all of my flowers for Lithia Park so they are ready to be appliqued onto their stems, etc. and I stayed to cut blocks for a quilt I have designed......

All in all it was a fabulous weekend!  We all had a great time and everyone seems to be pleased with what they accomplished!  I wish I had accomplished a little more but I was also doing the cooking, etc. after all!  Thanks to all the girls for their help in the kitchen and with all the store clean up!

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: