Sunday, May 2, 2010

Finally!!!!!

I can blog again!  I was on a roll, blogging every day and then suddenly everything I was doing was a "secret"!  Working on a lot of secret projects at the store, the Mystery Quilt, the Newsletter (not really a secret but not ready for publication!), and another "Secret" project.  So all week I have been literally "biting my tongue"!

First, as I mentioned last week- I completed (?!?! Jo-Ann completed something!) the Red Work quilt top and because I want it to be a special gift to Sharon for doing all that amazing stitching, I decided to have it "professionally" quilted by none other than Linda Robertson.  Okay, yes there was an ulterior motive here - I wanted to see Bosley (Linda, Matt, Ainsley and Morgan have officially adopted him).  His first reaction to seeing me was.....

It still hurts me when I see him lie down like that, I mean how does he splay his legs like that!  Ouch!  However, he did start to warm up and I got some great kisses......

He also got a brand new red collar, he ate the old one, along with one of Linda's socks and a shoe!  He also likes Matt's Blackberry - No Bosley No!  He seems to be a bit calmer and lets Linda use him as a foot rest.....

He actually stayed like that for quite a while, until Matt came upstairs and he had to see what was up!  The next picture is why I miss the big gallut so much - but I know he's in a much better place now and he really is happy!  This makes me happy too!


I promised Annadelle that we would go see the Hog's Hollow Commemorative Quilt when she came for Sit & Sew on Thursday and so after lunch we hopped (yeah right!  Last time I hopped I was 12!) into the car and set off on a Road Trip!  The quilt, designed and orchestrated by Laurie Swim, resides at the York Mills Subway Station and it is really a MUST SEE!

Here are the photos that I took and Annadelle and I were very grateful to the TTC employee who did not charge us a token fare to get in and take the pics, the quilt is on the other side of the turnstiles as you can see from the first shot!





Laurie did an AMAZING job on the design.  If you look closely you can see that on the pant legs of each of the men there is writing, it is their personal histories.  It is protected by a glass casing and the workmanship is exquisite.......For more information on the Hog's Hollow Tragedy and the quilt, go to http://dcnonl.com .

Now I can reveal the amazing MYSTERY QUILT!  But first a little preamble......I have to admit that this class is a very popular one!  Usually one of the first to fill up once the newsletter goes out!  For some people in the class it was their first ever Mystery Quilt and they loved it - others are regular sign ups for this class and they know the drill.......

First clue - everyone gets busy.......

I suddenly realize I don't have enough Spaghetti because I left the package I needed at home, so quick run to the house where Jonathan saves the day......


Then dinner is served........Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, Salad and Baguettes......


 Then they start slacking off (eating, of course)......
But they get back to work pretty quickly because we don't serve dessert until they are at least halfway through the clues........and dessert was Lemon Cake, Lemon Poppyseed Cake and Blueberry, Peach, Raspberry Pie with Ice Cream.  Now - I wanted none of that because I had saved this wonderful Portugese Cream Tart for myself (there was only one left) and I was going to have that later on with coffee.......It was in a cookie tin with a bunch of other things and of course I thought it was well hidden!

Needless to say IT WAS GONE!  Whom ever "stole" my Portugese Cream Tart is in BIG TROUBLE!  (Actually, I have to admit that if it's in the fridge it's fair game - but who knew, I mean nothing else in the cookie tin was touched!)

Okay, okay you want to see the amazing quilt tops! 

First - Lucy's......very bright and colourful, a great kid's quilt!  It has animals and world maps and all kinds of stuff.......

I didn't get a picture of Heather's, she had to leave early to catch a flight to Guatamala in the morning, so she didn't get a chance to get all of her blocks done.....

Libby's I'll save for later (because she finished it later....don't ask!)

Liz's was very subdued (NOT), she always goes with the bright colours and it really came out stunning, she even picked her border fabrics.....

Mary is making this one for her son and chose a feature fabric of musical instruments........it's gonna be fabulous!  She has also picked her borders and got a gorgeous blue flannel for the backing......

Cathy's came out fabulous too!  She's giving hers to a neighbour and was thrilled to get the top almost completed (sans borders) in one evening........
Raili's is not done and she was a little challenged by the placement of the blocks but we'll get her sorted out on Thursday when she comes for Sit & Sew......she was tired, but I do love her feature fabric.....

Karen, what can I say, she's doing 2 quilts (always does!) and they are both completely different!  The Asian fabrics are soft and muted but still work well with the pattern.......

The second one is much brighter and really sings!

Patricia did really well for her first Mystery Quilt - the feature fabric was a gift from her friend and so she will be giving this quilt to her friend as a gift.......

Then there's Claire's - she calls it "Spot the Sperm"........really bright kids fabric with great contrasting fabrics........(3rd Row, centre feature fabric, left side, 3rd square down)......click on the photo to make it bigger - you'll see it!

.....and let's not leave Libby out, she used the new Tavern Signs fabrics at the front of the store as her feature......it looks great!
However, it took her until........check the clock!

Yes - it says 2:05 A.M. (well it doesn't actually say A.M. but trust me it was!)
I was busy cleaning the kitchen and getting other stuff done including some quilting on my mystery quilt - which is below!

I believe Jonathan will be the owner of this one.......if he likes it as much as I do.........  So at the end of the day, Libby picked her borders and made me open up the cash and we left around 3:00 A.M. -  When I got home I couldn't go straight to bed because I was still too wired up from the evening/morning activities so didn't get to bed until 5:00 A.M.. 

I felt like I had a bad hangover all day yesterday and didn't even have the benefit of blaming it on alcohol!

I still need to plan lunch for tomorrow, go to my mom's for dinner, come back and work on the SECRET project and then there's the newsletter and it's already 6:00 P.M.  ------ sleep, what exactly is that???!!!!

Have a great evening everyone and Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: