Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Isn't it amazing!

Isn't it amazing when everything just comes together!  One of our customers was in today to pick fabrics for a quilt and she just "wowed" Sharon and I as she chose 23 fabrics from all over the store to make a Puzzle Quilt.  With these choices, this quilt will be nothing less than amazing!  She promised to bring it in and show us and I can't wait to see it......



I was busy most of the day packing up my old office space.  Rich and Jonathan were running back and forth to the store with boxes to store and I was digging into old papers.  Then I was off to the store for Laurissa and the Patchwork Sampler Block of the Month class.  I wish I had gotten some pictures but I promise to share their progress next month.  They all got loads done and in the spirit of the season - most of them were using their stash fabrics!  I'm a bit jealous as I would have loved to have done this quilt too - but - the rules are the rules and I have way too much on the go to start anything new!  There are still a few spaces left in the class if anyone wants to join them - the last Tuesday of the month......

I was a "good" girl and went into my office and cleared my desk and paid some bills......

When I got home I decided to continue being good and went downstairs to the studio to work.  Last night I finished the borders on "Ditch Flowers" and I think it really looks great......

I also started making the backing.......Again, in the spirit of "using up the stash", etc. I decided to piece the back.  I started it last night and finished it tonight and I guess I'm happy with it.  In retrospect those pieces were large enough they could have been used in another quilt or in a scrap quilt so I'm not sure I did the right thing, but, c'est la vie!  The back is done......


The last seam sewed and I ran out of bobbin thread!  So I decided to wind a few bobbins for upcoming projects.  I then remembered what Elaine said at one of her classes recently and decided you all might be interested in a few quilting tips along the way.....so,

TIP OF THE WEEK

Elaine mentioned that she usually winds a bunch of bobbins at a time so she doesn't have to stop in the middle of a project to wind a bobbin.  She also mentioned that after every 4 bobbins she cleans her machine.  Since I couldn't remember the last time I did that - I figured it must be time......

So I removed the plate (my machine is a Janome Gem which I keep at home for piecing)


..and I removed the bobbin casing......

.....and look what I found!  (Taken before I removed the bobbin casing)

......and after I removed the bobbin casing!

It is amazing how much lint gets into the machine.  Most machines come with a small brush just for this purpose......to remove all this lint.  By this time I had taken out the needle (and changed it too!), removed the presser foot and the shaft so I could really get in there and clean it....


I did a pretty good job, but in all honesty I think the next cleaning will be done by Zack because he really takes it apart......I have learned from experience (moreso because my machines are constantly in use) that I need Zack at least once every 6 months.  Normal machine usage probably requires a "good" thorough cleaning once a year. 

Look what I took out with just a small cleaning.........


I'd say that was well worth doing.....I do the same thing with my Bernina and my other Janome's but sometimes I forget and neglect them too!  If you have to - write it on the calendar!  Machine maintenance is something you really don't want to neglect.....

Unfortunately I didn't get anything done on my current "obsession" tonight because no sooner had I finished cleaning the machine than Rich showed up and we sat upstairs and talked for 3 hours.......

Now it's time for bed - I have a busy day tomorrow and I have to teach tomorrow night so need my "beauty" rest!

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: