Monday, February 2, 2009

SUPER BOLT SUNDAY!!!!

First of all I have to admit that I missed a day of blogging! I had every intention of doing it last night but....after we closed at the store I had to do some food shopping for today's dinner and the house. I got the food shopping done and made it home around 7:30 P.M., I made dinner and suddenly felt horrible! Dizzy, nauseous, headachey! Decided to go lie down around 8:15 P.M. and never got up again until this morning but I sure felt better!

TODAY WAS SUPER BOLT SUNDAY


The girls, Nancy, Mary and Barb started cutting fabric at 11:01 A.M. this morning and didn't get a break until 5:00 P.M.. In the meantime I was in the back most of the day getting dinner ready for our Super Bolt Sunday Sit & Sew. The entrance fee was 3 non-perishable food items and below is what we collected. It may not look like much but those bags are pretty full and they go back about 3 feet.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Not only did the Sit & Sew participants contribute to this "haul" but some of our customers brought in stuff too! Barb and I will be delivering it to our local Fire Hall tomorrow - thanks again!

In honour of the Super Bowl today (by the way Pittsburgh won 27-23! In case you are interested!) we had our own Super Bowl Fare. Sloppy Joes with homemade Cole Slaw and Potato Salad. I was asked for the Potato Salad Recipe so get a pen and paper ready.

Jo-Ann's Potato Salad
1 - 5 Lb. bag small potatoes 1 green pepper
1 red pepper 1/2 red onion
fresh dill 2 tbsp. French's Mustard
1/2 - 3/4 cup Hellman's Mayonaise Salt & Pepper to taste
Wash potatoes, do not remove skins. Boil potatoes until firm. Let cool, cut into 1/4's. Cut up green pepper and red pepper into small chunks, add to potatoes. Dice 1/2 onion and add to potato mixture. Chop fress dill (about 4 - 6 sprigs), add to potato mixture. In bowl mix mustard and mayonaise, poor into potato mixture. Mix everything together until well coated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill for 3 hours and serve.
Dessert was marble cake with chocolate icing and Janet donated a Zuchinni/Pumpkin loaf which disappeared very quickly......

As usual, the girls got busy after dinner. Elaine is measuring a border, Marlene is getting ready to cut some fabric and Janet and Libby are in the background hanging her current project on the design wall with Gillian egging them on.
Everyone on this side of the room is very industrious. Elizabeth is pressing while Chris and Myrna are sewing away on 1/2 square triangles for an absolutely gorgeous quilt (hopefully once it's done they will bring it by so we can get a picture of it).

Judy (back to us) is busy working on her challenge quilt for the Mississauga Guild. We can't show it to you - it's a challenge, but we know it will be utterly amazing!

In the meantime all throughout the night Barb is still cutting fabric for everyone (and a little for a store project too!). She didn't sit down all day! (Except to eat dinner).
Gillian got busy squaring up a quilt to put binding on as soon as the table was free while Marian and Elaine had a fabric swap or fabric return - I got a little confused on that one.
After Elaine finished putting borders on a quilt (I didn't get a picture but it was a gorgeous red and green quilt), she started on this "little" project. Okay - who cut all those black & whites???? into all those little pieces......Marian is next to her working on a red & white which is going to be spectacular (I love red and white). She says it's a 12 Step program and she was on Step 8......sorry no pic! Maybe Elaine got one - check her blog www.livejournal/elaine9703.com .
This is what Elizabeth was so busy working on, a Japanese themed quilt for her son which she got gorgeous backing for tonight....
Elaine and I had to get the picture of Marlene's travelling gear - it was all packed up and ready to roll.......the girls slowly started to dwindle out the door at around 10:00 P.M. with Barb and I calling it a night around midnight!

As tired as I am at the end of one of these evenings it is truly gratifying to know that a good time was had by all and thank you Gillian for doing KP duty tonight (when I asked what she was doing in MY kitchen - she told me to mind my own business and go away....so I went and had another piece of cake!).....
Thank you all for a wonderful day and a great evening! I got a Quilt Patis flower done for a project I am not even going to show you....because I have so many on the go you will just get confused???!!! (What happened to finishing one quilt at a time -----nevermind! or as Gillian says "mind your own business"!) I'm off to bed now!
Happy Quilting!
Jo-Ann

No comments: