Monday, January 12, 2009

In my book it's still the 11th.....

This blog counts as the 11th! For some of you it is far too late but my day is winding down at 1:30 a.m. and to me it's still the same day....I try to get the blog done before midnight but I was determined to watch 24 tonite and had to do it on timeshift (Vancouver Time) so it didn't start until 11:00 P.M.

First I promised Elaine I would post her Split 9 Patch - completed - so here it is! She'll be teaching this one on February 8th so you'd better get your names registered soon!Carolyn Flood is teaching Machine Quilting on Sunday January 18th and although I don't have a picture here, the sample is in the store so you can come and see it for yourself. It's a must for anyone wanting to do their own quilting, brush up on their techniques and just have a great day. Don't hesitate to sign up for this one - it's coming up pretty fast.

The next one on the list is Joan Hug-Valeriote's Rotary Tumbling Blocks on Tuesday January 20th. Joan's method is done completely by machine. I personally love this pattern and may just show up for the class.....so get registered.

Nancy starts Hand Applique on Thursday January 22nd and it's definitely worth taking. Brush up on your applique because we're planning an awesome applique Block of the Month starting in the Fall. This class will definitely prepare you for it. Besides it's great to have those take along projects to do - why not applique.

You really have to come in and see this one in person. Friday January 23rd and 30th you can have a "play date" with Nancy to learn the techniques in this gorgeous quilt. Floral Collage includes great techniques as well as embellishment.

Mary's Beginner Quiltmaking is starting on January 25th and if you are just getting into quilting or want to brush up on your skills - this is definitely the class for you. From pattern selection to completing the quilt - it covers everything.
Barb Scott (our Barb Scott) is starting her Hand Piecing and Quilting classes on Wednesday January 28th - learn the traditional way of quilting. (I really need to finish mine.....)
Last but definitely not least - Laurissa is teaching the Kimono Wall Hanging which is paper pieced on Saturday January 31st - it's a great beginner class for paper piecing and we've even got the kits already made up if you don't want to bring your own fabric.
I managed to get the border onto the "Hankie" Quilt this morning at around 6:00 A.M.. Originally when I planned the quilt it was to have two borders, the one you see in the picture below as well as another one in the toile fabric. Once I had the first border on I realized it was exactly what I wanted. This is a wallhanging, not a bed quilt and I didn't want to entice anyone into thinking they could plant themselves under it for warmth! In addition I feel that the border frames the quilt exactly the way I want it and draws the eye back to the center of the quilt focusing on the "hankies". (I know - it looks great on top of Laurissa's Block of the Month - Please disregard the background - was too tired to figure out how to crop the picture at this point). Here's a close up of the "hankie" blocks. I am now awaiting a detailed history of the linens so that I can make the label which will be incorporated into the back of the quilt..... After the store closed tonight I went to my mom's for dinner/with dinner and spent some time there. Then I went food shopping and headed back to the store to put lunch together for the girls for tomorrow - crock pot style. If they like it I'll share the recipe.....but it has to be approved by the Monday crew first!


Then it was home in time to switch on the TV for 24! What do I do while I'm watching TV - quilt, what else.......

A while back I asked Nancy to piece a quilt top that I found in Alex Anderson's new Hand Quilting book so that I could hand quilt it. Whenever there's a program on that I want to really watch (no noise) I usually do hand work - so this is the piece below.
I actually did everything by the book - marked the top, layered and basted and started out with a hoop and a thimble which have, I am reluctant to tell you, fallen by the wayside on occasion. I started in the centre and worked towards one side and am almost finished the one side....with all the new programs coming out this week I may get it done......
Okay, it's late enough and it is really the 12th!.....so I will bid you all good night and hope to see you soon.

Happy Quilting!

Jo-Ann

No comments: